Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Yadda, Yadda, Yadda

Well, my creative dry spell continues.....I started a poem and it was even too dark for me (and that is saying something). So I'm going to write about some t.v. shows that I've loved (and maybe some I didn't). I know it's terribly exciting, but please try to contain yourself. And these are in no particular order.

X-Files....Sometimes you just know that you're going to love a show before you see the first episode. The X-Files was one of those shows for me. I loved it....almost to the end. Toward the end, when David Duchovny had pretty much exited, the show really lost what made it magical...the combination of Mulder and Scully. I vaguely remember the last episode...it was both sad(its over) and a relief (its over!). (David Duchovny, Gillian Anderson, Mitch Pileggi)

Lost....I had a pretty good idea that I was going to like this show and after one episode, I became a Lost junkie. The second season wasn't as good as the first, but with so much anticipation waiting for it, that is to be expected. I look for all the hidden clues, read some message boards (there are people out there whose obsession with the show make me feel really normal) and try to guess what is happening. My only fear is that the show will fizzle and that the end, when the truth is revealed, it will never be as good as I hope it will be. (Matthew Fox, Evangiline Lily, a hobbit and lots of other people)

Picket Fences--I never watched a single episode of this show during its first run. I started watching it when I worked until 10PM at night and they were showing it on FX. It was a great show filled with flawed, quirky characters and excellent writing. (Tom Skerritt, Holly Marie Combs, Ray Walston, Don Cheadle)

EZ Streets--It was dark, gritty and intelligent so it lasted about 4 episodes before it got yanked. I set up the VCR to record an episode because I was at work when it came on. I couldn't wait to get home and watch it only to find that I had recorded some, what I thought was random, movie. I thought I'd had a complete lapse and recorded the wrong channel...turned out to be the right channel, but no more show. (Jason Gedrick, Joe Pantoliano, Debrah Farentino)

Strange Luck--another great, offbeat show filled with real characters that lasted....about 4 episodes before it got yanked. It actually might have made it more than 4 episodes, but not by much. In one episode, the main character, orders some weird food combination from a street vendor and ends up with a bag of cash...he's mistaken for a hit man who was to order that specific weird food combination because they thought no one would ever actually order that. Hmm....I guess you really had to see it. (D.B. Sweeney, Frances Fisher)

Outer Limits--I actually like both the original and the more recent versions of this show. I love the twists and the endings that you never see coming no matter how much you might try.

Twilight Zone--the original, the remake never really hit the spot. Original, creative and sometimes creepy. Like the Outer Limits, you were going a journey and you never knew where you were going to end up.

Stargate SG-1--It took me a long time to watch this show because I was a fan of the movie and I was afraid that they would make a mess of it. But it pays homage to the movie while cutting its own path. The downside is that Richard Dean Anderson is mostly gone (the occassional appearance is all we get) and this show, like the X-Files, really centered on the chemistry of the team. The addition of Ben Browder, who seems to be playing the exact same character as did on Farscape, is really annoying because it seems like he's playing the exact same character as he did on Farscape. And Claudia Black is wasted in the most annoying role I've seen in quite some time. (Richard Dean Anderson, Amanda Tapping, Christopher Judge, Michael Shanks)

24--I knew that I was going to love this show and I was glad to see the return of Kiefer Sutherland. They make real time work (unlike the Depp movie, Nick of Time), keep you on the edge of your seat and craving more. (Kiefer Sutherland, various others).

There you have it....the ones that occurred to me while I was writing...guess I didn't have too many in the can't stand column.....and who knows, if my writer's block doesn't let up soon, you might just see round two!

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I loved Picket Fences! Some of my fave tv shows:

1. Northern Exposure
2. Quantum Leap
3. Arrested Development
4. League of Gentlemen (UK)
5. Scrubs
6. Family Ties :-)

1:50 AM  
Blogger Dagoth said...

Hi Hope

I was surprised by this. In your sidebar you have 4 shows you say are you favs but only one (lost) made this list. I couldn't believe that Dr. Who didn't make your list. Ok, my list in no perticular order.

1. Battlestar Galactica (new one)
2. Sg-1 & Atlantis
3. Dr. Who (new & old)
4. Firefly
(I could have just said Sci-fi friday)
5. All Star Treks except deepspace 9
6. Survivorman (the science channel)
7. 24
8. Understanding (the science channel)
9. Survivor
10. CSI (only the original. Do CSI's in Miami really drive Hummers?)

I hope you haven't given up on the tardis...

7:14 PM  
Blogger Hope said...

Missy: It was an awesome show! Family Ties--now that really takes me back!

Dagoth: I guess some of the current ones didn't make the long-term grade. I couldn't stand Dr. Who when I was younger. I gave the "new who" a watch because I love the actor who was playing him (Christopher Eccleston). Now that he's gone, me the tardis might part ways.....

8:51 PM  
Blogger blackcrag said...

I liked X-Files before it caught on with most people. After that I lost interest.

I caught on to ER in it's second season, and loved it, but lost interest at the end because I predicted the whole seasons storyline. It managed to carry on for a couple more seasons without me.

I liked NYPD Blue once David Caruso was gone. Followed that until the end. I follow both the CSI and Law and Order franchises as much as possible, even though Caruso pokes his cardboard acting up in CSI:Miami. At least he has an interesting backing cast.

I don't think I really have any other current favourites. Isn't six shows enough?

9:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home