Sunday, July 23, 2006

In Good Company

I have known women who have agonized over who to ask to be in their wedding party or have faced pressure from family members (okay..from their mothers) about who they should ask. After all there is always a cousin somewhere that your mother thinks you should ask even if she's someone you wouldn't know if you tripped over her. For me, this was an easy question (and when I say easy...I mean "would you like a piece of chocolate" EASY!)
It took me all of about a nano second to decide who I was going to ask. I am blessed with having some exceptional women in my group of friends. It is amazing how much we have in common while at the same time, being so different. Heidi, for example, is much more optimistic than I am. You will note that her blog is a bright, happy pink while mine...well isn't. And Angela doesn't think that nature is something best viewed through the window, but something you should go out and be part of. Lisa is one of the most positive, happy people that I've even known in my life. When she laughs, there is no way to stay unhappy. Amy is nothing short of my angel and can always put anything that I think is going wrong into perspective and make me believe it as well.
Over the years that have gone by, lots of things have changed. Amy & Lisa are mommy's now and Amy and me don't do our grocery shopping at 10:00 at night after getting off work. And we've got a little older and Angela doesn't call me at odd hours of the night to ask me horror movie trivia questions (and yes, I do still know the lullaby that they sung in the commercial for The Fly II, that wasn't in the movie). Not everything changes....and that's a good thing which is why Heidi still always looks for the bright side of things and always looks for the way to cheer you up when you're having a really, bad day.
I know that no matter what happens or what time of the day or night, that if I needed one of them, they are just a phone call away. And I know that they understand why you go out to eat and start with an appetizer and skip straight to dessert or why you just start with dessert. They understand the things that make me happy and those that make me sad. I know that when times are hard, that they remember me in their prayers and that they rejoice with me when I'm on top of the world. They would talk with me about anything I needed, cry with me when I'm sad, laugh when I'm being silly or just sit quietly with me.
And that's why I know when my wedding day comes and I look over at these four women, I'll know that I'm the one who's truly blessed.

8 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Awww... that's such a lovely thing to write. It made me miss my best friends. Sad that I can't see then whenever I want as we are all worlds away.

4:00 PM  
Blogger Josh said...

That is so nice. Must be great having a great group of gals like that.

4:23 PM  
Blogger Hope said...

Missy: I don't get to see all of them nearly as often as I would like, but its wonderful to know that they're out there!

Liz: It is awesome! I am one of those people who doesn't make friends easily, so I know how blessed I am.

4:38 PM  
Blogger djn said...

You're a sweetheart. I'm glad you're surrounded by such wonderful ladies!

6:21 PM  
Blogger Dagoth said...

Hi Hope

Sounds to me like a wonderful bunch of friends and at your reception you should start with the desert first...:)

8:18 PM  
Blogger Angela said...

I second Dagoth's suggestion, yall are cutting the cake first right? Your pretty great yourself!! Love ya, Angela

9:47 AM  
Blogger heidikins said...

You just made me cry. Love you!! :)

11:24 AM  
Blogger Hope said...

djn: Me, too!

dagoth & angela: Sounds like a great idea to me!

heidi: those better be tears of happiness!

7:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home