Saturday, December 16, 2006

Hits & Misses

If you've been reading my blog for awhile, you know that I like to cook and that I enjoy trying new recipes. I've gotten a few off a site that I've used a lot in the past and whose reviews are usually accurate. I've tried three new recipes in the past two weeks with some disappointing results.

The first was a new recipe for beef stew. Now hubby will eat pretty much anything, but isn't a huge fan of beef stew. I, however, love a good beef stew. I found a recipe called "Autumn Beef Stew" and thought that I would give it a try. Really wish I hadn't. It was bland and boring. I wasn't looking forward to the leftovers.

The second was for chicken enchiladas and although it was a lot more work than I anticipated, it turned out to be an excellent dish. I made one modification using tomatoes with hot peppers instead of the green chiles. I'll make it again one day....just not on a week night.

The third was one I made tonight....Italian Style Round Steak. Yeah, won't be adding this one to the keep list. It wasn't as bad as the beef stew, but I still can't say that I'm excited about the leftovers.

My next challenge is to try and make dressing for Christmas dinner. We're having ham, so instead of stuffing, there'll be dressing. My mother usually makes it, but we decided to divide up the cooking duties this year. Which I don't mind, but for some reason I'm intimidated by making dressing. Not really sure why...but I guess I'd better get over it and find a recipe (which hopefully will be better than some of the recent new recipes). And just in case it sucks, my deviled eggs better be exceptionally good!

8 Comments:

Blogger Spider Girl said...

Devilled egg...THAT I can make. :)

I'm a bit of a klutz in the kitchen, but I do enjoy being an assistant to someone who knows what they're doing.

Then, when dinner is on the table and it's absolutely scrumptious I can say "Yep, I helped make it!"

2:21 PM  
Blogger blackcrag said...

www.epicuious.com

You probably know this one, but I like it.

I am away from my own computer (back in B.C. visiting friends and family for Christmas), or I'd add a couple stuffing recipes I have stored away in my recipe file.

Interesting stuffings I have had: Chestnut stuffing, and a fruit stuffing... there was a third , but I forget it's main ingredients. But those two suggestions will give you someplace to start.

2:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have an excellent recipe for sausage dressing, it was really good. I got the recipe from a girl at work that made it for our Thanksgiving get together. Lemme know if you want it and I will email it to you.

8:55 AM  
Blogger Hope said...

Dagoth: I'll add the enchilada recipe to the site for you...you'll have to let me know if you like it. I could give you the deviled eggs, but I think my family would refuse to let me in the house without them!

spider girl: It sounds like your plan works better than mine...mine involves too much work!

blackcrag: That is a great site! I hope that you're having a wonderful Christmas holiday. I know better than to make a stuffing with fruit in it if my brother will be attending the meal as I've heard him heckle such a concoction.

angela: I found a sausage stuffing recipe (that I just took out of the oven), because I've been lax about checking the ol' blog, but send me the one that you've got! If this one sucks (it smells good, but that is no guarantee), I'll need a choice for next time. And really, you can't have too many recipes...there is always something better.

Merry Christmas to all you guys!

4:41 PM  
Blogger Dagoth said...

Hi Hope

Have a very Merry Christmas...

7:24 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Back to blogging for a bit just to say, "Happy Holidays!!" to you my dear friend :-)

love,
missy xx

PS. Any cool pressies? ;-)

PPS. A really cool TV show I just discovered is Heroes! :-)

7:49 AM  
Blogger blackcrag said...

Merry Christmas, Hope! I hope you are spending today with those you love, and those that love you.

May the New Year bring you enough challenges to keep you sharp, and enough peace to so you can enjoy the challenges.

Take care,

6:27 PM  
Blogger Hope said...

Dagoth: We did have a good, if busy Christmas!!

Missy: Yeah! I thought you might have dropped off the face of the earth! Hope you had a lovely holdiday! Santa was good to me this year and I LOVE Heroes!


Blackcrag: Thank you for the holiday wishes! We did spend the day with loved ones...just wish there wasn't so much driving around to do so! I'd like a bit of peace in the coming year!

12:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home