Wednesday, August 30, 2006

In the South, You Can Fry Anything

I think I clarified a little while back that I make a poor southerner...please see my "confession" if you have any doubts. On the list of things that southerners are supposed to be renowned for is the obsession with frying, especially deep frying, well, pretty much anything. I confess, I love fried chicken. I think that I've actually cooked fried chicken one time. It was, as I recall, a horrible pain in the a**. For the most part, I bake or grill and even my "frying" is really more of a saute. I nearly threw up when I heard about deep fried pickle. (Ok, I don't like pickles to begin with....but please....deep fried?) Where I live, the Wednesday edition of the paper always includes recipes.....and in case you needed proof about how, in the south, you really can fry anything, here it is:

Fried Oreos

1 14 oz package original Oreo cookies
Peanut oil or vegetable oil for deep frying
2 c. all purpose baking four, such as Bisquick or buttermilk pancake mix
1 1/4 c. ice water
Confenctioners sugar

Freeze oreos in package for at least two hours
Just before serving, pour at least 4 inches of oil in a large sturdy pot suitable for deep frying and heat to 350 degrees.
Take cookie package out of freezer. Open package and place the frozen cookies on a baking sheet near frying pot.
While oil heats, mix batter. Whisk baking mix and ice water together in a large bowl until smooth but without overworking the batter.
Dip cookies, one at a time, into the batter and slip into oil.
Cook for 1 to 2 minutes, dunking as needed with tongs, until golden brown. Remove with tongs, dust immediately with sugar and serve.
Eat right away, but be careful of the molten center.

If anyone tries this, you'll have to let me know how it turns out.

5 Comments:

Blogger blackcrag said...

Well, I'm not going to try this, but I did have fried pickles a week or so ago. There's a southern barbeque place dust down the street a ways.

I happenned to see the fried pickles on the menu and thought why not? The weren't bad, though I'm not going to go out of way to eat them again.

If you're a true southerner, I hear you deep fry your turkey, too!

1:32 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

How bizarre! :-)

In Scotland, you can buy fried mars bars in a fish and chips shop!

3:25 PM  
Blogger Angela said...

Deep fried turkey is really good. Now, the deep fried pickles I hold reserve on. I think at the Murray Bros. Caddyshack restaurant they serve this as an appetizer. I am sure that was somewhere in the movie, but I don't remember. I like pickles, but this doesn't sound good to me.

12:46 PM  
Blogger Hope said...

Blackcrag: I have heard that deep fried turkey is divine, but I've never had it. And I am way too afraid to use that much oil to cook anything.

Missy: The world is filled with a great many strange things!

Mtnbiker: I'm counting on you to make these cookies and tell me how they are!

12:57 PM  
Blogger Dagoth said...

Hi Hope

We sold deep fried pickle spears at the bar I owned and they went over very well, they are very good with ranch dip, but then again what isn't...

7:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home