Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Mexican Meatloaf

cooking spray
1/2 lb extra lean ground beef
1/2 lb lean ground turkey
2 large egg whites
2 oz cornbread stuffing (about 1 cup)
1 med onion-chopped
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp ground cumin
4 oz can green chili-diced
8 oz canned enchilada sauce

--in large bowl combine all ingredients but 4 oz of the enchilada sauce
--shape into an oval & placed on greased broiler pan (if you do this instead of just cooking in a baking pan, chop onions fairly fine and add about 1/4 c of cornbread stuffing..it cooks fine w/o it, but it tends to droop and cook around the rack)
--cook for one hour at 375 degrees (don't forget to preheat)
--top with remaining enchilada sauce and cook for another 5 minutes
--6 servings

I add more of the spices because I like spice in my food...you could also add some spicier peppers to give this more sizzle and still keep it low fat.

This is my second recipe that falls into the good for you category.....why? you guessed it...trying to lose weight and yes, it sucks! It really sucks. I love food and I love to cook, but of course, most of the stuff I really love fall into the bad for you category. I love mexican food (lots of cheese) and italian food (lots of pasta & cheese). I love things with rich sauces and oh, let us not forget chocolate. So I struggle with finding foods that still taste good and fill me up (both of which are a challenge). All things considered, my weight could be far worse, but there is definately room for improvement (the closet full of clothes I love, but can no longer wear remind me of this on a daily basis) so I trudge through trying to get water to stave off the hunger pangs while hunting for food that doesn't suck.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Dagoth said...

Hi Hope

As with all foods, if it's good for you it tastes bad, and if it's bad for you it tastes good, so you must make it bad for you in order to make it taste good, right (like take spinach and drown it in butter and salt while cooking it). Now out in the wild it's exactly the opposite, if something tastes bad (burns the tongue, etc.) it probably is bad, in fact it's probably poisonous. So it's my belief that they lie when they say something is bad for you. The only truth I know for sure is that too much of anything is probably bad for you...... except hot spices... I love meatloaf, so I will definitely have to try this one, except I always put a hard boiled egg at the center of my meatloaf so that it cooks faster and more evenly. Strange maybe but something I learned a long time ago. I hope it doesn't change the whole Mexican thing too much...

7:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dagoth: Yes...if they could make chocolate a diet food, I would be in business...it does seem that the more that I like something the worse it is for me! I've never heard that about the boiled egg, but I'll have to give it a try. I hope you like this when you give it a try.

9:37 PM  
Blogger Angela said...

this looks good, I may get the ingredients and add it to my weekend shopping list.

8:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home