Sunday, November 18, 2007

It Was About Time

Every Wednesday is weigh in day to see if the previous weeks efforts have netted a loss. I was thrilled the week that I stepped on the scale and it said I had lost four pounds. I got off the scale and got back on just to be sure. Although it would have been nice, I didn't expect to lose that much weight each week. The next week Wednesday came, on the scale I went. I got off the scale and then back on....same as the week before. So I continued my efforts until the next Wednesday. On the scale I went, off the scale and then back on...same as the two weeks before. Another week....Wednesday, on the scale I went, off the scale and then back on...same as the three weeks before. So this past Wednesday, before I got the scale, I had a little talk with the scale:

"Look, I've been working my ass off! I exercise 3 to 5 times per week....for an HOUR, kickboxing no less and usually follow it with some light weights or pilates. I can barely remember what chocolate tastes like. There's no bottle of Mountain Dew camping out on my desk all day--its a bottle of water--and I drink it, I don't like it but I drink it. I've cut back the sugar in our sweet tea to the point that it's probably heresy to actually call it sweet tea anymore. I drink Sprite Zero with dinner and take a can to work for lunch. Yes, I have regular soda when we go out to lunch because unless we only go to Subway every time there's no other place that has the stuff and it's the only diet drink that doesn't make we want to toss my cookies. I get fajitas and don't eat the tortillas. The cheese in our house is 2%--no fully loaded yummy cheese. I miss great italian food....let me tell you....skim milk does not make a good alfredo sauce. I watch my portions, I go hungry and 100 calorie packs of popcorn are my new best friend. I read the nutrition label on everything, I check to see how many points everything is and I make as many low fat substitutions as possible when making a recipe. Cheese dip has become a rare luxury. Yes, I use my daily points, but not all my weekly ones and I even leave activity points on the table. So, this week you'd better show me some movement in the right direction or I'm tossing you into the driveway and then I'm going to jump in my car and run you over--repeatedly. You want mercy? I'll give you the same mercy you've shown me for the last few weeks."

So on the scale I went, then off, then back on to be sure....finally another 2 pounds lost!

3 Comments:

Blogger Dagoth said...

Hi Hope

I'm right there with you. I got the scale out of the spare bathroom last week not because I wanted to, but because I had to. I haven't stepped on one in a couple of years, but it's gotten so bad that I really had to know. I'm on my second "quitting smoking" in the last 3 years and I never lost the weight from the first one, much less all I have gained this time around. I told myself "I wouldn't worry about the weight gain as it was more important that I quit smoking" and that held for a little while, but it's really gotten out of control to the point that I have to do something about it. I don't want to trade lung cancer for diabetes. The fact of the matter is I've put on 80 pounds in the last 3 years and I really have to do something about that before I explode. Everyone says "it's ok, at least you quit smoking" but the fact of the matter is, it's not ok, I'm not going to live like this, and it's time for me to get busy on this and fight for those 2 pound losses as well, and I'll be hating my scale right along with you...

8:13 AM  
Blogger missy said...

So so so hard to lose weight this time of the year. Well done for managing it!

love,
missy xx

7:07 AM  
Blogger Hope said...

Dagoth: Welcome to the scale haters club...you can be a charter member along with me. I'm trying to get some of the weight off in preparation for quitting smoking along with other reasons. I can't really afford to add more on from where I started. If I can just survive the holiday season with all its vast temptations! I'll be wishing you luck!


Missy: Ain't that the truth! I actually managed to lose one pound over the Thanksgiving weekend...but I'm suspecting the week after might have done me more damage!

8:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home